Discussions

Is there a solution to a huge amount of product variations?

As the title says. I am building an online store for a new small business that I have started with a friend. We are selling clothing where the customer can customise the product to their liking. They are able to pick the main and secondary colour for every product as well as uploading artwork to be included.

The problem is that there are 18 available colours for the primary and secondary sections of the clothes. Which means there are 324 variations for each product and that's before you include sizes.

The thing is that we don't need each variation to have a unique SKU as the products are made on demand so tracking stock is not an issue.

What I want is the user picks their colours and uploads their image(s), then checks out, then we're sent an order which includes all of their choices and the files they uploaded against each product. Is this possible with drupalcommerce and if so could someone point me in the right direction as I've searched and searched to no avail.

Posted: Aug 12, 2013

Comments

simonlmartin on August 12, 2013

I am trying to do practically the same thing. Our products are built on demand with varying attributes - but from what I can tell would require around 10000 variations per an actual product. Pictures of the product they have configured would be generated dynamically. Is there anything in Drupal Commerce that addresses this? I have read a fair amount about Drupal Commerce and from what I can tell all product variations need to be built upfront.

_ianw on August 14, 2013

I found a module called Commerce Customizable Products

It allows you to add options that the customer selects before adding it to the cart. I've got it working for our site. I have taxonomies for Colour and Size and I've added three line items Colour 1, Colour 2 and Size which are term references displayed as select boxes. I've also used it to add the option for users to upload two images. You can edit the View for the cart so that the options are displayed there too.

I used this tutorial to get it all working:

So far I haven't got it to display the appropriate image based on the customer's selection. I'd also be interested in how you're producing your product images dynamically as that is the next challenge!