Discussions

Do I need to create a different product type for each list of colors?

I have two types of fabrics(flat and with patterns). For the ones that are flat I only need to allow color choice, for the ones with pattern I need the choice for both color and pattern.

I can have many different types of fabric, both in the flat and pattern category, with distinct color/pattern catalogue.

My question is: do I need to create a different product type for each type of fabric(eg.chintz, blackout, etc.) to select a different list of colors/patterns?

The reason I ask is because all the fields would be the same with the exception of the color/pattern list. It makes sense to have some sort of model, and add from there, but I can't figure out how.

Posted: Nov 29, 2012

Comments

drupalability on November 29, 2012

Greetings,

Do you need a unique SKU for each variation? Or is this simply info for you when fullfilling the order? If you need a unique sku you need a product for every variation. However, if you are only giving the customer a color/pattern option to choose from for the same product you do not need new products for each variance. Simply put a select list attribute on your product type. At least, that is how I would do it. So create a single product on your variations form and upload multiple images for that single product. Hope this helps. Cheers, Kevin