Discussions

Commerce License or Commerce Recurring Framework?

Hi All,

Trying to setup a website for selling online services with recurring billing cycles. No need to shipping feature. Wanted to use Commerce Kickstart, but after reading Bojan's comment on https://www.drupal.org/node/1732042 I see that it's better to start with clean Drupal Commerce install, but I am confused which modules I need to install.

So I would appreciate if anyone could consult on what are minimum number of absolutely necessary modules to keep it clean.

The big confusion for a Drupal Commerce newbie like myself is to understand how to setup recurring billing system correctly. Should I install both (1) Commerce Recurring Framework and all the related or dependent modules and another set that goes with (2) Commerce License module? Are the complimentary to each other or just two different approaches to set recurring service products?

As I understood from https://www.drupal.org/project/commerce_license_billing it can do recurring billing for licenses. So should I setup service products on my project as licenses?

Thanks for attention!

Posted: Aug 23, 2014

Comments

joshmiller Josh Miller on August 26, 2014

Commerce Recurring: For shippable, whole orders.

Commerce License: Platform for selling digital goods or services.

Commerce License Billing: Allows for licenses to billed on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly and for prepay, postpay, prorated and metered billing cycles.

Sounds to me like you need Commerce License Billing. If you want to check out a good example of how to create a license for your services, you might take a look at commerce_license_node which handles both a one-time license and a metered license scenario.

Josh

Alex Sm. on August 26, 2014

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for pointing me to the right direction and saving me from trying all other paths. I will give a try to Commerce License Billing.

Do you think I can strip Kickstart down to only what I need or is it better to start from vanilla Drupal and Drupal Commerce setup?

joshmiller Josh Miller on August 28, 2014

I always recommend vanilla Drupal.

Here's a .make file that has Drupal, Commerce, Dependencies, and Commerce License:

api = 2
core = 7.x

projects[drupal][type] = core

; Contributed modules, 90% required dependencies.
projects[admin_menu][version] = 3.0-rc4
projects[ctools][version] = 1.4
projects[devel][version] = 1.5
projects[views][version] = 3.7
projects[entity][version] = 1.5
projects[rules][version] = 2.7
projects[token][version] = 1.5
projects[addressfield][version] = 1.0-beta5
projects[] = entityreference

; Almost always need custom line items
projects[] = commerce_custom_product

; commerce + commerce_license
projects[commerce][version] = 1.9
projects[commerce_file][version] = 2.0-beta3
projects[commerce_license][version] = 1.3
projects[entity_bundle_plugin][version] = 1.0-beta2
projects[views_bulk_operations][version] = 3.2
projects[inline_entity_form][type] = "module"
projects[inline_entity_form][download][type] = "git"
projects[inline_entity_form][download][url] = "http://git.drupal.org/project/inline_entity_form.git"
;
Most recent dev version required
projects[inline_entity_form][download][revision] = "8229859"

nicpon on December 21, 2015

Its an old topic, but its spot on with my issue at hand and perhaps adding here makes more sense.

Can the two modules coexist Recurring Framework and Commerce License Billing? I have products that fit both needs, but I can't seem to get them to work under one install...so I'm just making sure.

Thanks